Spy vs. Spy like clone from DOS/95 era [Double Agent]

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
kippetje

Spy vs. Spy like clone from DOS/95 era [Double Agent]

Post by kippetje »

update: Maska found it, it's double agent. Thanks!

Greetings!

As a kid, I used to enjoy this game very much. Sadly, the discs have been lost and I'm unable to recall the title nor the developer.

It looks like this game wasn't very popular either, as my searches across the internet landscape I have found nothing but one other guy, who looked to be looking for the same thing! Sadly, that was an old forum that didn't have an answer. (also, it appears to be gone now as I can't find that anymore either!)

Release / Play date
I recall playing it when I was still in elementary school. As I'm from 1992, it must have been between then and 2000 AT MOST.

- Objective
Find some item and get out before your opponents do. The item would be hidden randomly in a level. You could search cabinets, desks, wardrobe closets and so on.

In order to delay your opponents, you could kill / disable them by setting traps inside the searchable places. A few examples of the traps:
* Bowling ball falling down
* Electrocution
* Standard bomb / explosion thing
* Some weird balloon thing

You had a limited amount of traps to use so you had to use them wisely.

Like in spy vs. spy, there was also a map with an overview of all the areas.

(Its possible that as you played, you found more and more clues where the item could be)

(Its possible that some form of multiplayer was possible, I have some recollection of split-screen functionality but I might just be kidding myself.)

- Theme & Graphics
It had a very detective / noire feel to it. I think the first level was a big house at night, rain visible through the windows. (I also believe the house had stairs prominently placed so you could go upstairs)

The game is fully 2D, and quite sure entirely sprite-based and moving around would be like a side-scroller.

The traps & searching has more of a light/cartoony feel to it.

- Opening & Characters
The game has an opening in which you see characters walking to somewhere.

* Detective guy
Wearing a dark green raincoat and a classic detective hat. I think in the pre-rendered opening he was reading a newspaper. When moving around, I recall he had his hands inside the raincoat pockets.

* Elvis Impersonator
In a white jacket, stylish black hair and sunglasses. He also had a portable camera with him in the pre-rendered opening.

* Some lady
Don't recall how she looked, but I'm sure there was a choice.

* ???
There might have been a 4th or 5th character, though I'm not sure about that.
Last edited by kippetje on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maska
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Maska »

That was a very good description.

I googled mobygames spy vs spy clones and found Double Agent. There is an Elvis impersonator in the DOS screenshots. I believe this is your game.
Found my game. Thanks.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Nice find! Double Agent seems to match the description quite well indeed!
kippetje

Post by kippetje »

Yes Maska, that is it! Thank you so much!