Unkown title: strategy game, crater base, Windows, 90s

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
UrsFelix

Unkown title: strategy game, crater base, Windows, 90s

Post by UrsFelix »

Hi all,

I try to get the title of an old game that I played in the 90s

- Platform: Windows
- Year: in the 90s?
- Genre: Strategy, Realtime, Future Genre
- Graphics: 3D
- Description: You had to build up a kind of a moon/asteroid base in a crater. There were several different buldings availbale. The goal was to attack enemy bases in other craters next to the own one. The main weapons were missile silos that could be equiped with different types of missles. One missle type caused a kind of Vortex in the enemy base. It was also possible to build star fighters. It was also possible to send a spy to destroy building in the enemy bases.
You could build anti-air cannons to defend your base against enemy missiles.

I would be great of you could help me to find the title of this game. Thank you.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Outpost 1 or 2?
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

As I recall, the Outpost games were exploratory only, and not war games.

But the player view - was it top-down isometric style like Outpost or C&C/Tiberian/TA series, or was it a mix with 1st person view also?

I haven't seen any with isolated crater building specifially, but there are some interesting games like Battlezone, Uprising, or Galax Empires perhaps?
UrsFelix

Post by UrsFelix »

Hi,

unfortunately the Game is none of the proposed ones.

It was only top down isometric style. Looked a little Bit like Outpost 1 but it was more modern.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Ok, then I give you some new guesses:

Total Annihilation
Echelon
The L.E.D. Wars
Earth 2140
Dark Colony
Dark Reign: The Future of War
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

I never played two, but one had attacking and sabotaging the enemy base in the manual, if I recall correctly. However, it was such a broken game you probably couldn't actually do it. As I recall, they certainly would attack you - totally unfair! But the enemy AI couldn't build a workable base anyway... That's probably the most broken game that I have fond memories of.
UrsFelix

Post by UrsFelix »

[quote="Rwolf"]Ok, then I give you some new guesses:

Total Annihilation
Echelon
The L.E.D. Wars
Earth 2140
Dark Colony
Dark Reign: The Future of War[/quote]

Thank you. But unfortunately it is another Game. One more detail that I can recall: it was not Part of the gameplay to have Control over individual units as in C&C or Earth 2140 etc. You just see your base at one screen, no scrolling what I rember. Of course you could select the different missiles silos but not really command tanks or other ground units.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Hmm...not something simple as Missile Command is it? There are a number of clones; this is a Windows version with pretty graphics:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/missile-command

While searching for something that might fit the 'Vortex' missile, I got sidetracked into the War Hammer 40k series...would that fit?
In that universe, the missile would be a one-hit kill-all thing.
UrsFelix

Post by UrsFelix »

No, it was more complex than missile command. Yes, I could also find the Vortex-Missile in the warhammer universe, but the game was not a part of it :( I think the problem is that this game was not really sucessfull and therefore not really well known.
Rwolf
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

Post by Rwolf »

Quadko wrote:
I never played two, but one had attacking and sabotaging the enemy base in the manual, if I recall correctly. However, it was such a broken game you probably couldn't actually do it. As I recall, they certainly would attack you - totally unfair! But the enemy AI couldn't build a workable base anyway... That's probably the most broken game that I have fond memories of.
Right you are, there is some attacks beween rivalling colonies, and in both games.

It's not a major focus of the games though, more an effect of limited resources, as the colonies are trying to first expand on, and then, in Outpost2, escape from the moon.

My memory of these games had partly faded away, it seems.