DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A lost game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming
cristy_maxspeed
Douglas Adams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:55 am     Post subject: A lost game Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I found a freeware game that I cannot find anywhere on the internet, its name is Firm Favourite (1994) by New Era Software. Its existence is not mentioned anywhere as far as I know. Luckily, I have it and I will share it obviously, just let me know where to upload it and it's yours Happy
Rwolf
The Antichrist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:24 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

It is listed as a strategy/sports game, in the places I can find a reference to it, but not what sport.

(They made several soccer statistics games, this sounds like a betting game, maybe for racing horses/dogs?)

Is it really freeware, or merely shareware?

[I saw somebody called 'dbc1712' post in 2013 on another forum (pyra-handheld) about having aquired all of their software catalog, and was then working on porting at least some titles to XP and above.]
cristy_maxspeed
Douglas Adams

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:15 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really freeware. You can check for yourself:
https://mega.nz/#!noJGBSKT!KeH5Ilxxcdi5RpCrSlsEB-zFI-aO3sRMKG6ptl7kGOc
Rwolf
The Antichrist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:33 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I took a peek at it. The game is about betting at horse-races as I suspected, works fine in DosBox.

It says it's freeware in the introductory menu text, it could be a stripped down version of a larger release.

The (full?) game seems to be titled 'Good to Firm' in the betting/horse selection panels, and also in the registration document, which also refers to another game, called 'It's a fair bet'. Possibly the paid version has more features, I can't say.

---

I also found information on the full 'Good to Firm' game on various sites; it seems there was a demo, probably this 'Firm Favourites' is that; which only allowed playing the races for (simulated) two-weeks of a championship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games