DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Server move coming, please read

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Announcements
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:26 pm     Post subject: Server move coming, please read Reply with quote

Hiya,

Over six years ago, DOSGames.com moved to a new web server. At that time, some of the software being used (ex, PHP, MySQL, Apache, PHPBB2, etc) was already rather old. But we kept going as long as reasonably possible.

Now, however, I've been getting daily emails that CPanel and a host of other services are no longer supported. PHP 5.2 (which the server currently runs) is long past getting updates of any kind, even security updates, and is missing many modern features.

For these and other reasons, the site will be moving (along with all the other sites I host on this server) to a new VPS in the next few days/weeks. I'm not sure whether I can get this old version of PHPBB2 running on the new system or not. The techs are going to investigate whether it's possible to run PHP 5.2 concurrently (just for this board) alongside the general 5.6 that's running on the rest of the server. If not, I may need to try to upgrade to PHPBB3 and/or install multiple hacks to get it running.

All this to say, that I'll do my best to save it, but there's a non-zero chance that the forum may be disappearing. If that happens, I'll save some of the most popular threads and convert them to static HTML pages. I can also set up a request board, or maybe a wiki of some sort, for people looking for games.

In any case, I'll post updates here as I have them.
Joris
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:05 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck emmzee, hope this is not the end of this community Meh

Running multiple VPS's here, just let me know if there's anything I can do to help you.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:35 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, and thanks for giving it a try!
xenial

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:59 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a big move and I just joined! Ah well, do what you need to do as an admin. I'm a techie as well. Good luck. Congratulatory
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:20 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I literally had to check the date of the post and my calendar like 5 times to make sure I wasn't reading a post raised by a spam post or something.

Looking forward to the move - glad to see you're still kickin' emmzee!
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:56 am     Post subject: Re: Server move coming, please read Reply with quote

emmzee wrote:
If not, I may need to try to upgrade to PHPBB3 and/or install multiple hacks to get it running.

What's the problem with moving over to phpBB3? Another forum I visit relatively recently transitioned to phpBB3 and apart from some differences in interface layout people like me had to get used to everything went pretty smoothly.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:40 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, so if you're reading this (and I'm pretty sure that you are) then you'll notice that the site is now on its new server. Actually everything will seem pretty much the same. I hope. But trust me, it's moved. Congratulatory

It actually was not too much of a problem; surprisingly easy. I guess I'd read a lot of stuff about all the problems with moving to a new version of PHP.

Re moving to phpBB3, maybe I can investigate that next. I know I put a bunch of MODs on this board over the years, and have no memory of what exactly they were or how I did it. Upset
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:10 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditch the mods and go back to Vanilla. A lot of the features may even be built in by now. We can figure out the mods as we go Happy

Please keep a backup of this forum, though. The spam list and banned users may not carry over.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:13 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

What wardrich said. The mods are a PITA and probably are all plugins now.

also WOW YOU'RE STILL ALIVE
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:23 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

emmzee wrote:
the site is now on its new server.

Sweet! Nice work. Glad it worked out.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:18 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

emmzee wrote:
Hey all, so if you're reading this (and I'm pretty sure that you are) then you'll notice that the site is now on its new server. Actually everything will seem pretty much the same. I hope. But trust me, it's moved. Congratulatory

Cool!

I completely agree with others regarding moving over to phpBB3.

On a side note, do you intend to fix up some stuff on the site too, like broken downloads or mixed-up descriptions?

Also if you intend to add more games to the site I'll be happy to throw in some suggestions with download links Happy
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:45 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much opportunity these days for that I'm afraid Shit-Eating Grin I will try to find some time to fix the errors on the site at least. I'd still love to do a full remodeling of the site, but unless I get rich somehow, I probably won't have an opportunity to spend the hours it would take to make that a reality.
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:49 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be cool if you could switch to a framework that would allow content editors. If I knew more about CMS frameworks, I'd offer a hand... but I've struggled with a few of them - they all seem like more work than they're worth when you've already got your files organized in a particular way.
Cmaza
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:57 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that everything went smoothly. :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1