Can newer soundcards (SB compatible) work from DOS 6.22?

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
stev5a

Can newer soundcards (SB compatible) work from DOS 6.22?

Post by stev5a »

I read with interest the post about if a SB 16 could work directly from DOS. A reply stated that since newer cards were made which are meant to allow a user to access DOS from windows, in order to play older DOS games.

I like DOS, hate windows. I want to play my older games directly from DOS 6.22. I have a AOPEN sound card aw-850 which is SB compatible. I bought it assuming I could get the darn thing to work within DOS 6.22

On the cd which came with the card, it does say it will install DOS Drivers. When I install from this, it does change the autoexec in DOS to the SB command. But it doesn't make any change to the config. When I look within the directory it made on the hard drive, there are only 3 files, each with has a .ex_ or a .co_. Anyway I cannot for the life of me get any sound from the card with DOS itself.

I guess really I have two questions. 1. on newer soundcards (my aopen was made in 2001) are they only made with the intent if a user wants to play games in DOS they have to go thru windows, (ie there are no actual dos drivers installed, and (2) if this is the case, is there such a thing as a generic dos driver for sb compatible cards where I can get this darn thing to work in DOS 6.22
Kazer0
<i>Mercenary Dishwasher</i>

Post by Kazer0 »

1) Most new sound cards won't work in DOS, and old ones won't work in XP. You need a card from 1998 or so. If it says it has Dos Drivers, it probably will work in Dos, just check the troubleshooting in the manual, and see if it gives the code to put in the config file.

2) http://www.dosgames.com/essential.php <-- VDMSound.