DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Fantasy General - no sound?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work
solomani

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:57 am     Post subject: Fantasy General - no sound? Reply with quote

Hi all,

In a fit of nostalgia I decided to crack out Fantasy General to show my kids. Since my CD is long gone and it seems my personal ISO had also disappeared into the ether I grabbed the abandon-ware version from Abandonia.

I used both DosBox and Boxer on my iMac to install it and got the same problem - no music or voice overs though standard sound fx works fine. In fact, apart from the music, game runs great.

Since music is such a big part of this game I wanted to try and get this working but not sure where to start. I did run the sound.bat and that said all was ok but no music nonetheless.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:43 am     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

Jesus! I was just thinking maybe it is meant to be that way in this edition? After all, music making is pretty intense and tedious. I know because I finally understand how to make music on the PC speaker.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:20 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah! That would mean I need an original CD to make a bin out of instead?

The music is great. I would be surprised they cut it.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:53 am     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

Jesus! I believe you actually do need the original CD.

Not to be out of topic or step on anyone's toes however I have been looking at abandonwares. Specifically Microsoft Windows 95 and 98 since it might have MS-DOS in it. What I found out from abandonwares in general is that it is "shady". You just do not get the original quality you do from the original.

So I suggest spending the couple of bucks and getting the real deal on eBay, Amazon, and such. If you do, eBay has been good (so far), and Amazon too (so far). Besides, I think the head of DOSgames gets a kickback if you mention you were referred by him to Amazon? Don't quote me on that.

I am seeing if I have enough left over to get the real deal MS-DOS.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:43 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

If the original CD was mixed mode with audio tracks, I think there might be some problems with making it play in DOSBox. I'm not sure though, but there's some information at the DOSBox Wiki:
Quote:
CD Audio tracks

Q. I have created an image from a CD that includes CD audio tracks, when I access it in DOSBox only the first (data) track is available.

A. Be sure to use the bin/cue format for mixed mode CDs (CDs with a data and audio tracks) and always pass the cue file to IMGMOUNT.
solomani

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:50 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh interesting. Thanks both. I'll try.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:31 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

I am just trying to help and be helped in return.
acesman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:33 pm     Post subject: Fantasy General Music Reply with quote

One simple solution is to get the game from gog.com, it is complete with sounds and music at a reasonable price.
solomani

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:29 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. That version didn't exist when I posted my request.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1