DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!


What game would you like to make according to my skill level
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Creation
Author Message
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:29 pm     Post subject: Thank you God for sending Cheese-its & Rice to always save me! Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

Well, first I know I have a way with words.

However it is my way of being relaxed enough to do my work goodest.

Wally really deserves the credit for this "Frogged" suggestion.
Wally even suggested I added the river.

Here is the synopsis:

Keyboard controls:

A-left
S-down
D-right
W-up

Other frog:

J-left
K-down
L-right
I-up

Microsoft XBOX360 with USB cord for one frog is compatible.

SONY PlayStation One controller is the second compatible.
Remember, you need the USB adapter for the second one!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/v7iz9uuxc327k3c/FROGGED.EXE
Back to top
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac


Offline
Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Posts: 2409

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:59 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, this is some good game development going on here! Blissful

Have you figured out how to get around screen flicker with animations?
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:43 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Thank you. Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe Thank you for the nice comment. That's why I did it.
I hope at least 1 person likes it.

What would my God want me to say? Amen.

Well, I figure since I am a firm believer in my The LORD of all hosts!

I am giving you the secret to my current game.

9 out of 10 times, my game here uses transparent sprites.

It is updated so frequently that you notice the flicker.

I could probably update my routine so it is stable looking;
However, for game development purposes I would rather have the speed.
The flexibility is enormous programming the game the way I do now#!!

Since my father is no longer with me I would prefer to do it this way.
My dad told me to be flexible and not rigid.
So I try to give a little leeway although I hate to. haha

I try to treat both parents fair so I also listen to my mom.
She says try other games instead of just 1! haha
It looks like I am too flexible and too spread out thin now. haha

P.S. [edit] I have played Duke Nukem 1 in the Apogee collection package and it is totally fun. I am really impress with the screen scrolling from one part to another.
Back to top
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac


Offline
Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Posts: 2409

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:30 pm     Post subject: Re: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Thank you. Reply with quote

tienkhoanguyen wrote:
I am giving you the secret to my current game.

9 out of 10 times, my game here uses transparent sprites.

It is updated so frequently that you notice the flicker.

I could probably update my routine so it is stable looking;
However, for game development purposes I would rather have the speed.
The flexibility is enormous programming the game the way I do now#!!

I'm pretty certain you'll find out how to keep your flexibility while extending the range of things you can do with graphics Happy Good luck!

I imagine doing real graphics is a very complex part of programming routines - I'm nearly completely clueless about this, as I never learned beyond drawing ASCII characters Happy But I'm pretty sure once you've mastered all the tricks it will be no problem implementing this in as many games as you want.

tienkhoanguyen wrote:
I have played Duke Nukem 1 in the Apogee collection package and it is totally fun. I am really impress with the screen scrolling from one part to another.

Duke Nukem is a very nice game. No idea how they pulled off the scrolling part. This was a major problem for PC game developers back then, as shown by the story of Commander Keen's development:
http://youtu.be/7YreEwtV7D0
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:47 pm     Post subject: Re: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Thank you. Reply with quote

MrFlibble wrote:
tienkhoanguyen wrote:
I am giving you the secret to my current game.

9 out of 10 times, my game here uses transparent sprites.

It is updated so frequently that you notice the flicker.

I could probably update my routine so it is stable looking;
However, for game development purposes I would rather have the speed.
The flexibility is enormous programming the game the way I do now#!!

I'm pretty certain you'll find out how to keep your flexibility while extending the range of things you can do with graphics Happy Good luck!

I imagine doing real graphics is a very complex part of programming routines - I'm nearly completely clueless about this, as I never learned beyond drawing ASCII characters Happy But I'm pretty sure once you've mastered all the tricks it will be no problem implementing this in as many games as you want.

tienkhoanguyen wrote:
I have played Duke Nukem 1 in the Apogee collection package and it is totally fun. I am really impress with the screen scrolling from one part to another.

Duke Nukem is a very nice game. No idea how they pulled off the scrolling part. This was a major problem for PC game developers back then, as shown by the story of Commander Keen's development:
http://youtu.be/7YreEwtV7D0


Thank you for your strong belief that I can upgrade my talent if any haha

Drawing graphics is just as simple as drawing ASCII characters.
You draw each frog, car, and such one pixel at a time.
In fact, you actually place the actual drawing right into your program.
Since you are my friend, I am giving you an a first look at my program.
Here is the Borland Turbo C 2.01 and Borland Turbo Assembler 4.1 code:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ihvem408enzck38/frogged.C

I assure you cannot get a virus from a file with a dot C extension haha

Anyways it is the entire game.

If you look closely you notice that I have used a lot of the past routines.

So a residual coding of Pac-Tron, Starsfield Invaders and such are there.

You can even experiment with the coding and draw your own gfx.

So when you compile it has your own drawings instead of my poor ones!
Back to top
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac


Offline
Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Posts: 2409

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:11 am     Post subject: Re: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Thank you. Reply with quote

tienkhoanguyen wrote:
Here is the Borland Turbo C 2.01 and Borland Turbo Assembler 4.1 code:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ihvem408enzck38/frogged.C

Well, for now I can say that this is clearly beyond what I have learned in C Happy I do get the general idea of how the programme works though.

After leaving school (which is where I got all my programming knowledge) I briefly considered learning some C++ on my own, and even bought a reference book and a CD with some tools. However, it kind of didn't work out to have a programming hobby while learning something else entirely. I guess I did not have enough motivation, or a clear goal of what I wanted to program on my own.

Thanks for sharing the code anyway, I always try to learn practical skills by example, rather than by studying theory alone.

BTW, a while ago I tried compiling a list of DOS games which are open source:
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37927

Maybe you'll find something interesting there Happy

Also, you might be interested in the works of Gemini000, who reviews old games and is also a retro game developer. His games do not have stunning graphics but they're quite well thought out, solid projects:
http://www.pixelships.com/index.html
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:52 am     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

I have great appreciation for your passion.

I see you work hard to find DEMOs.

In fact I respect you go out of your way to find source codes and such.

So as your friend, I ask you not get discourage.

I try to teach you at your own time enough to get you started.

The most important thing is start little.

If you can do simple graphics like draw ASCII text.

Just change that letter into some art.

That is how you eventually program games.
Back to top
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac


Offline
Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Posts: 2409

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:07 pm     Post subject: Re: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

tienkhoanguyen wrote:
If you can do simple graphics like draw ASCII text.

Just change that letter into some art.

Heh. Well, even what I knew is now somewhere deep back in my memory. It's more that ten years since I last coded something in C (actually I think it was C++ most of the time). And the "drawing" of ASCII characters was very certainly different from drawing a sprite, as I recall. That was mainly about telling the programme to print a letter on the screen at specified coordinates. All that was done in text mode. I think you need to switch to some graphics mode for graphics and then give pixel coordinates to draw a sprite.

I guess it is actually rather similar to text mode stuff but I did not learn any commands for that.

Maybe I should really refresh my memory sometime, especially since you say Borland made their tools free. Now I'm a little bit limited on free time though Happy
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:16 pm     Post subject: Re: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

MrFlibble wrote:
tienkhoanguyen wrote:
If you can do simple graphics like draw ASCII text.

Just change that letter into some art.

Heh. Well, even what I knew is now somewhere deep back in my memory. It's more that ten years since I last coded something in C (actually I think it was C++ most of the time). And the "drawing" of ASCII characters was very certainly different from drawing a sprite, as I recall. That was mainly about telling the programme to print a letter on the screen at specified coordinates. All that was done in text mode. I think you need to switch to some graphics mode for graphics and then give pixel coordinates to draw a sprite.

I guess it is actually rather similar to text mode stuff but I did not learn any commands for that.

Maybe I should really refresh my memory sometime, especially since you say Borland made their tools free. Now I'm a little bit limited on free time though Happy


Well, the tools are important too believe it or not. In fact if you program in Borland C++ 5.5 it does not have graphics capabilities since it is made for 32-bit mode which is a different system. Of course, we are talking Windows now so you need a different way to access the graphics.

However the Borland Turbo C 2.01 which should be free from what I last know is highly graphics capable. It is not everything needed however for starting out it is what I used. Printing out a colorred circle and such is rather easy using this language. It does take a LOT of studying though. Like flying a helicopter I guess, you cannot just sit there and fly haha You need training. So you have an excuse not to go further since it is work. Besides you probably love what you do already.

Just like I enjoy my programming so much that I made myself be able to do it. However I have a secret if you believe in Cheese-its & Rice, I pray everyday. In fact I prayed so much in my life I actually have prayed over 200 hours so far in my lifetime! haha
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:20 pm     Post subject: Thank you Cheese-its & Rice! Reply with quote

However, don't let me discourage you. A baseball player bats thousands of balls until he can hit even a fraction or something rather. It is RBI or something index. I don't really know however I think it goes to show that the more you try the better you get.
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:33 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

I'm sorry there is a little delay right now.

I am tired for some reason.

For the first time in years I am starting to relax.

So this is a first in what seems to be over a decade.
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:49 am     Post subject: I guess it is the Christmas month! Busy. Reply with quote

I guess I am busy trying to take perfect care of my own family.

You know the Christmas month!

Everyone is waiting for something special on Christmas day!

Thank you Cheese-its & Rice I have something that lasts forever for all#!!

hehe

I don't know what it is yet however I am still thinking.

Give me some time to come up with what that is hehe

They say "I am a genius!"
Now whether that is true or not remains to be seen haha
I highly doubt it. hehe

Maybe a talker I can believe that hehe
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:26 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

Okay, here is the Windows version.

It is too short with only 1 - level.

However I would rather the people on Windows have something little.

It is officially DOSBox however it is activated for you in Windows.

Just double click the file you download here:

Thank you for your support this Christmas and beyond.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/elcd42gcvzvy4hz/Frogged.exe
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:29 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

For those of you on DOSBox, here is the official like:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jl4p4lru06p3354/FROGDEMO.EXE

http://www.mediafire.com/view/k9568ir97ien99f/FrogDEMO.C

Not much, however, I hope you have a Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, maybe I can get to the other two requests soon.
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:59 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

Okay, I think I might get to the next game soon. I think hehe

I am feeling like I am starting to recover from my programming.

I am about ready to rock this house hehe

Well, not really rock it haha

Just -o I better just shut hehe

I'm going to see if I can get something in this after noon.

Thank you Cheese-its & Rice "Frog Demo 2015" seems fine so far? hehe
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:21 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/i5qvu12f2f3xql8/LINE.EXE

Well, here is my blatant advertisement hehe

This is my remake to @pseudocoder.

Please forgive me for being such a poor brand new developer, my friend.

In this brief remake it does not do anything except fire where the bow is.

The crossbow moves using the SONY PSone with USB adapter.

It also uses the standard keyboard ASDW with the X to fire.

It uses complex algebra.

I had to rack my brains trying to think back to my 9th grade days.

Those days of theories were torture however I got 93% average so good.

haha

Thank you Cheese-its & Rice.
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:13 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

I would like to be perfect? hehe

However it is better that the line does not hit dead center.

Okay, I am making excuses.

Just because I got an 8% off on my algebra test. haha

That is okay, maybe next life I can get 100% on my test hehe
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:09 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fvw0c7y4o9hig65/JSIDERPG.EXE

Well, I call this "JsideRPG". hehe

It is "kinda" like RPG except on the side of the screen haha

Of course it just shoots and hits nothing.

I hope you like empty rapid fire hehe - just tap as fast as possible spacebar

I'm sorry my jokes are horrible.

Anyways, I just wanted to get something done for the three requests.

Merry early Christ!

Thank you for all your support.
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:10 am     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

Well, I just had a big feast with my family thank you God!!!!!!!!!!!!

My grandmother is passing away to Heaven............

She told me she wants to spend as much time with me before she passes#!!

God willing, I can do that, Amen.

It was a small get-together however loving memories.

This is the fifth (5th) time out for December 2014 Christmas family together!

I don't know about anyone else however money is dwindling down!!!

[Edit: The point I was trying to make.
I have so much to do this Christmas that I am drained.
I'm sprite that I was able to complete all 3 major requests#!!
Of course, it is silly however]
Back to top
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER


Offline
Joined: 05 Sep 2014
Posts: 2683
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:03 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/tu4thwh4ldhip4l/JCRPG.EXE

Make sure you press Q to quit and see the ending credit.

Pappas Restaurant really made it a great day with my family.

It was embarrassing I could not pay haha
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Creation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group and Ask an Expert
Also powered by Darren and the other admin and mods' hard work! ;)