DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3D Realms are back! (well, kind of)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:19 am     Post subject: 3D Realms are back! (well, kind of) Reply with quote

After many months of (im)patient waiting, the new 3D Realms website is finally launched:
https://3drealms.com/news/3d_realms-is-back/

And, they're offering the all-new (well, in fact, quite classic) 3D Realms Anthology with all the Apogee/3DR games, plus more.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:04 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice! Good to hear they'll be making some new games!

And the anthology seems quite reasonable for the amount of games ... hmmm ... I already own a lot of them, some on the original floppy disks. Then again, I don't have a computer that has a floppy drive anymore Suspicious
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:12 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

emmzee wrote:

And the anthology seems quite reasonable for the amount of games ... hmmm ... I already own a lot of them, some on the original floppy disks. Then again, I don't have a computer that has a floppy drive anymore Suspicious

If you needed a floppy drive, I just ordered one and it works great. I only was able to verify it with Microsoft Windows Vista. They say that it does NOT work with Windows 8. They go for $10 bucks on eBay. Here is the company I got it from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390956347512

Everything installed perfectly with it.
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:32 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

emmzee wrote:

I just tricked a little trick. I loaded up DOSBox and see if it would detect it instead of using Microsoft Windows 8. Windows 8 does NOT allow the detection even after installing the driver. However, DOSBox "seems" to work. Although it does NOT have the format command, it does copy successfully onto the hard drive. So take it as you will, this might be a blessing in disguised.

You do have to mount it like this:

mount a a:\ -t floppy

Well, Thank you Cheese-its & Rice!hehe Both my parents told me to study. So I did some studying and it turns out that the command prompt allows the floppy drive directly in Windows 8.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:00 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, the 3DR team has started publishing interesting stuff (its' not only going to be about beta releases of Duke3D and other games):
The 3D Realms Vault: 1994 Design Tips from Tom Hall
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:11 pm     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

Does that mean I have to develop for Apogee now? haha j/k (Just kidding).
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:47 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this means everyone is encouraged to find their inner Apogee developer Blissful
tienkhoanguyen
PSEUDOCODER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:01 am     Post subject: God, Cheese-its & Rice, is number one!hehe Reply with quote

Cheese-its & Rice!hehe

MrFlibble wrote:
I guess this means everyone is encouraged to find their inner Apogee developer Blissful

Thank God I found mine before it is too late hehe
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:33 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Part two of Tom Hall's design tips:
https://3drealms.com/news/3d-realms-vault-1994-design-tips-tom-hall-part-2/

Oh and just in case, the old version of the 3D Realms website can still be accessed at this address:
http://legacy.3drealms.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games