DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Archive extraction errors on Win98 comp

Aldeb
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:52 pm     Post subject: Archive extraction errors on Win98 comp Reply with quote

My Win98 comp can't extract archives properly.

here's my thing. I compress a file or whatever in rar and write it on a DVD using my laptop and try to extract it on my win98SE computer. I get a file corruption error on most archives. Why is this? Everything works normally on my laptop but not on my pc. even if i copy the archive and extract off disc, i still get the error.

which drive is to blame?

the other thing is that i can't get my flash stick to run on the win98 comp. The usb ports worked when it had xp (it's a 1999 machine) but it doesn't work with 98. Do i need to format it in some way?
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:21 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratch that last one. my usb sticks were indeed ntfs. formated one in fat and it works. can't believe i didn't think of it before
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:11 pm     Post subject: Re: Archive extraction errors on Win98 comp Reply with quote

Aldeb wrote:
My Win98 comp can't extract archives properly.

here's my thing. I compress a file or whatever in rar and write it on a DVD using my laptop and try to extract it on my win98SE computer. I get a file corruption error on most archives. Why is this? Everything works normally on my laptop but not on my pc. even if i copy the archive and extract off disc, i still get the error.

which drive is to blame?

Missing vital info here Aldeb:
Soft used on your laptop to create archive?
Soft used to burn DVD?
Soft used on W98?

Some advisable softs:
7zip for W98 http://www.oldapps.com/7zip.php?system=Windows_98
Imgburn http://www.imgburn.com/
Aldeb
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:25 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Laptop: Winrar 4.0 / Nero 6.0
PC: Win 3.0
Don't get any rar corruption errors on laptop.
Matter of fact, i'll downgrade real quick and see if there's a difference after that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1