DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

how do you make dos games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming
seantimmins

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:54 pm     Post subject: how do you make dos games? Reply with quote

my name is sean timmins and i am very interested in programming and i would like to learn how to make dos games.

please help

sean timmins

http://www.stimmins.0catch.com
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:17 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved.

You could try using C or Pascal, as those seem to be pretty good at creating games specifically for DOS. Any reason why you *want* to make DOSgames rather than Windows?
Bobo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:23 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

What programming languages do you know?
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:29 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself? I usually use VC++ for general programming, granted, I don't make *games* with it.
Quote:
i am very interested in programming
He's a programmer so I'll asume he knows or at least has access to the various languages out there, so the main question here is "what language would be best for designing DOS games?"
Oz
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:00 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

assembler is SO easy to get into, it's unbelieveable. or was that ....
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:24 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try using a GCS. Visit our GCS Section for more info. GCS's, while more limiting than a programming language, are simpler and generally faster to learn (though some, such as Dink Smallwood, are just High-End extentions of VC++ with 3D sprites and ray tracing programs included and are *harder* to learn than languages whereas TLC's Castle Explorer (?) doesn't even use a language)

Finally, if you're aiming for total compatibility, there is no power greater than Java... Violent
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:48 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessss, Java is totally portable.

IN THEORY

Hehe. Just remember if you're working in Java don't assume it works the same on all OSs ... cuz it prolly won't heh. Just my experiences programming in Windows & Linux ...

Probably for someone just starting out, a GCS is the best way to go. Probably (although it's not DOS based) the "Game Maker" program seems to be a pretty decent one:

http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:20 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the Java thing was just a knee-jerk reaction that I've heard many times. (Whether on TechTV, Usenet, or elsewhere...) Actually, I've never used Java to create games so I have no idea how well it works.

C seems to port easily into DOS, Windows, OS2, Linux (ELF or not), and Amiga. Mac is harder, from what I've heard... (Once again, this is not based on personal experience-only what I've heard. I've only made programs for DOS and Windows.

Of GCS'... for compatibility, ZZT runs with every single MS PC OS released since DOS 6.0 and will run under Linux-it's rival, MZX, is better, but is hard to get running on any computer made in the past 10 years. I would recommend Game Maker as well (see Emmzee's link), I haven't really gotten to see it that much, but from what I have seen, it's fantastic.

If you like working for 2 years to make an excellent game that only 200 people will ever play, Dink Smallwood may be your thing. It's probably offers one the greatest potential freedom (other than starting from scratch) as far as being able to make a truly great game-total freedom of POV, the ability to use any graphics set, keyboard, space saving 3D sprite technology, etc. etc. etc. There are some programmers in that community who work for 2 years and make a 50+ MB game that is totally unlike the original game and takes months to complete. But at the same time, it's relatively easy interface allows you to make a decent graphical game in 2 days that is still enjoyable. Any GCS that manages to combine simplicity with freedom of style is, IMO, worth its weight in gold.
Interon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:45 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogbreath wrote:
Actually, I've never used Java to create games so I have no idea how well it works.

There are quite a few well-made Java games. However, if I were a programmer, I probably wouldn't bother with Java anyway.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:54 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

*Shrugs* It's good for web programs (like Emmzee's new site) because of it's multi-platform usability, I guess.
donkeydude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:25 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

aanway,
there's this thing called "cube". Although it *might* not be dos, it has a .bat executable file. Heres the url: http://www.cubeengine.com/...

hope it helps..!
Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1