Looking for an old space empire game

Help locating old / Pre year 2000 games you used to play.
MageDK

Looking for an old space empire game

Post by MageDK »

I'm looking for an old space empire game. Maybe DOS or windows 95 Era. You were set in a galaxy with multiple species, one of which was a robot species. The game had diplomacy so you could trade or ally yourself with other species.

You could group ships together to form fleets and explore or attach other ships/worlds. From what I remember the ships were pretty customizable and you could load up different weapons, computers, other tech items.

The game also had a research component where you could research better ships, weapons and technologies. From what I recall the technologies were broken up into different ages atomic age, fusion age, etc.

Some of the technologies you could research were city shields and defenses to protect your colonies on different planets.

You also had to explore different planets and scan them. Often time you would fine some some artifacts or other things (i think).

One of my favorite technologies in the game was the jump drive, which basically allowed you to jump immediately from one system to the next.

The game was all 2D, but lots of fun.

Hope this sounds familiar to someone out there.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Take a look at the following games:
Imperium Galactica
Master of Orion
Star Control II
MageDK

Post by MageDK »

It's not either of those. I think this may have been a freeware or shareware game. The graphics were pretty primitive, but the game play was addicting. I just remembered something else about the game. Different weapons had different firing arcs. Some were 360 around the ship, while others had smaller arcs of fire.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Hmm, there were quite a few shareware games of this type, like
Crusade in Space
Space Empires II
Stelcon 2469
MageDK

Post by MageDK »

Those aren't it either.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

Post by MrFlibble »

Well, you can just browse through this list and this list, hopefully your game is there.
MageDK

Post by MageDK »

Those are really comprehensive and should help. Thanks I'll take a look.

Post by Guest »

MageDK wrote:It's not either of those. I think this may have been a freeware or shareware game. The graphics were pretty primitive, but the game play was addicting. I just remembered something else about the game. Different weapons had different firing arcs. Some were 360 around the ship, while others had smaller arcs of fire.
Makes me think of a really old game that I'd love to have again Cosmic Balance and Cosmic Balance II.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
bhughes

I know

Post by bhughes »

Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain

This was my favorite game. Your description is similar to the game play of this game. Hope this was it.
Cropman

Post by Cropman »

I think I know what you're talking about, was it Warpath 97? I can't post a link but check it out on google
Nemesis Zero II

Post by Nemesis Zero II »

Maybe it is VGA-Planets 3 (or higher). I played and loved it:)
Let the 90s never die!
Herethos

Post by Herethos »

Spaceward HO!?
Marasmusine

Post by Marasmusine »

It sounds exactly like Masters of Orion 2, particularly the bit about weapon arcs
MageDK

Post by MageDK »

tried tracking this down several times and still nothing. i remember the game having a great mechanism for researching new technology. and for building ships you could pick all the components that went into it. The number of computers, weapons, engines, etc.

things like atomic rockets, jump drives, etc.
Quadko
Darklander
Darklander

Post by Quadko »

Do any of the previous guesses look similar to your memory, to narrow it down?

reach for the stars / RftS
Worlds at War

Was it online?: UltraCorps

BBSs?: TradeWars