DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

DOOM in dosbox [Win7]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work
the_atm1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:54 pm     Post subject: DOOM in dosbox [Win7] Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm no noob to Dosbox, i've run Arena, fallout 1,2, and simcity 2000 with little to know problems other then starting them, but I got them to start.

I downloaded DOOM 1 from this website and I attempted to start it as normal but to no avail. I tried installing it but it says it's not compatible with Windows 7, so i go into preferences and change it to compatibility mode windows 95 again to no avail.

So I load up Dosbox, mount it and everything and I try to run install, won't work, well I did not except it to, so I try to run the DEICE file, and it says that it's missing the BATCH file I believe, or something like that.

Like I said maybe i'm doing something wrong but I can still run Arena and Simcity 2k on it, am I doing something wrong? thanks in Advance and I'm new to the forums.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:35 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, gonna need some details from you:

OS?
Mount lines?
the_atm1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:22 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, Windows 7, what do you mean mount lines?

I put mount C C:\dosgames (I have a folder in my C drive called dosgames)
Run: Install my Doom stuff is not in a folder in dosgames it's just there. I'm not sure what to put for that, I think I usually just put run: what ever.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:47 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, whilst your C: mount was OK for XP in Win7 it isn't.
Win7 knows much more restrictions and that mount will give unpredictable read/write problems.
To avoid such problems: please read and apply this;
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511

Post your mount line afterwards and I'll tell you how to proceed.
Once your C: mount is OK it's pretty simple to get things running, really.

Also, whilst:
the_atm1 wrote:
Like I said maybe i'm doing something wrong but I can still run Arena and Simcity 2k on it, am I doing something wrong.......

Those are simple games, but once you try games that needs install or a specific drive - dir/subdir structure you hit a concrete wall with your C: mount.
Like I said before, Win7 isn't XP, you need to follow some basic rules, and a mount c c:\dosgames isn't suited for Win7.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1