DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abandonware can be Freeware with your help!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Off-Topic
Da_Goat

Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:10 am     Post subject: Abandonware can be Freeware with your help!! Reply with quote

Don't beleive the title? Here's proof (straight from Game Hippo)
Game Hippo News wrote:
Oct 10 :: Galactic Battle
We have just turned an abandonware game into freeware! We found the old and abandonded shareware game called Galactic Battle (from 1991). We really wanted to post this game on Gamehippo so we simply contacted the game company and they gave us approval to post the game as a freeware game. Yay!

I just thought that this was really cool...........now go ask all the DOS publishers! Now!

Last edited by Da_Goat on Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
John The Ax

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:55 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's a good game! Cool! Don't ask Epic. They still sell their stuff.
Kazer0
Mercenary Dishwasher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:56 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

No they dont, a site they liscenced does. I told you guys many times that illsend out formal letters to ge freeware from abandonware if you tel me the game, company, publisher and website.
Da_Goat

Location: Prescott, Arizona, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe, Nothing and Nowhere.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:05 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

kazer0 wrote:
I told you guys many times that illsend out formal letters to ge freeware from abandonware if you tel me the game, company, publisher and website.

You did?
Moo
Gaming God
Gaming God

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:27 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea it was on my Dare to Dream request in Finding old games.
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:23 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely a worthwhile activity. I sent out a few emails awhile back to try to get permission to post some games on dosgames, but never got any reasonable replies.

The problem is, a lot of the companies that made these games don't exist anymore, so who actually owns the intellectual property is in doubt. I'd love to post World Leader Board Golf on dosgames.com. (Anyone remember this EGA golf game? "Looks like he hit the tree, Jim") ... However Access Software, who originally made the game, was bought by Microsoft ... I tried to contact various people at M$ to try to talk to anyone who might know about the game, but failed ... Sad
Da_Goat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:41 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, Microsoft would never release a game as freeware. Same with LucasArts. Those darn corporations!!
Kazer0
Mercenary Dishwasher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:04 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try. Jusrt gimme some time, ill type the letter at the library, since im not even supposed to be oon here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> General Off-Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games