DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DOSGames.com Site Update August 1st 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Announcements
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:53 pm     Post subject: DOSGames.com Site Update August 1st 2011 Reply with quote

Wheee!

Quote:
Added 14 new games today to bring the total to 600 games! Happy The new additions are: Alien Cabal, Clyde's Adventure, Crash, D/Generation (demo), Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall, Galactix, Kosmonaut, Pinball Fantasies (demo), Powerslave (demo), Quiver, Skull Quest, Ultima Underworld (demo), Witchaven (demo), and Zorro (demo). Visit the Newest Additions page to download 'em all! Happy

I need to add at least one more then I can update the logo Shit-Eating Grin

Also since I now have a lot more free time I'm thinking of starting the site-wide update ... need to work on a new design first ... hmmm ...
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:01 am     Post subject: Re: DOSGames.com Site Update August 1st 2011 Reply with quote

Nice stuff.
Happy
emmzee wrote:
I need to add at least one more then I can update the
logo Shit-Eating Grin

BattleZone could be a nice addition....
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3117

emmzee wrote:
Also since I now have a lot more free time I'm thinking of starting the site-wide update ... need to work on a new design first ... hmmm ...

Arf arf, heard that before ..... Laughing
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:15 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to update the logo, you could cheat and say "Download *nearly* 1000 free DOS games!". Cool
emmzee
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:44 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I added Amulets & Armor, The Fool's Errand, and Taxi Run to bring the total to 603 and updated the logo Happy
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:24 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Shit-Eating Grin
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:22 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Accordin' to Old School DOS, Alien Cabal's freeware.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:22 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

486 player wrote:

I haven't been able to find any proof of that other than that site admin's claim.

I discussed this matter with Swizzle from Demu (formerly DOS Museum), here's what he says:
Quote:
Hm... Yea, I can't find any other reference that this game may have been made "freeware" by it's owner. It's also not registered with the US Copyright Office so I'm not even sure who might own the rights. It looks like the QASoft websites went offline in 1999. There is no information on the archive.org copies I was able to access saying what happened to the company.

I was able to track down an e-mail address for one of the people in the credits of the game. Hopefully he will have contact information for the owner; or at least a little more information.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:59 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

More info from Swizzle:
Quote:
I've spoken with the person who did the graphics for the game - but unfortunately he doesn't have any contact information for anyone else involved in the project. He wasn't sure who would even be the copyright holder from what I recall.

On a side not, that Old School DOS site doesn't seem very trustworthy to me, seeing as how not all downloads from there are legally distributable, and no info whatsoever is generally provided whether a download is a demo, a shareware version or a free full game.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:26 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

MrFlibble wrote:
486 player wrote:

I haven't been able to find any proof of that other than that site admin's claim.

Recently I found an archived copy of the game's original official website, preserved by the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. And it turns out that starting somewhere in late July 2000, the main page had a link to the full version of the game, available at no charge:
Quote:
Download Full DOS Version 1.2 and DirectX Version (12.9MB)

(Requires Pentium 100MHz, 16MB Ram, 60MB Hard disk space )

The file itself was not properly preserved (only the first megabyte or so was stored), but the file name and size is the same as of the download offered by Old School DOS Games.

The full version package is updated to the latest version (v1.2) and includes both the DOS and the Windows versions. Also it contains the latest version of the game editor.

The problem is that the site does not have any kind of freeware release announcement. An indirect clue may be found in the form of a message (archived by Google Groups) where Greg Taylor (one of the developers) offers another user to send a free copy of the game:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.games/hydQftMqBZw/LmmSPNvpFvYJ

The message is dated May 28, 1998. It can be assumed that the game did not have much popularity, and at some point the developers decided to release it as completely free.
MrFlibble
Demoniac Demo maniac
Demoniac Demo maniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:25 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of a site update soon?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Free Windows games