DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Yet Another Build Thread ???

motrax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:14 pm     Post subject: Yet Another Build Thread ??? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Im sure this has been asked here before, and in fact I know it has based on the searches and results that I found in regards to them. However, opinion seems to vary so wildly on a lot of things, that for a first timer to something like this can make all the information overwhelming and daunting.

Essentially what Im looking for is a cookie-cutter esque computer that will play the majority of the DOS classics. Commander Keen, DooM, Wolf3D, all the games from that era I remember playing as a kid, and a million of the others that I never got the chance to do ( Blasphemous, I know, but I still need to play all the Kings Quests games ): ). Ive gotten a million different responses on doing this without including the original hardware. Sure, Ive done DOSBox. Sure, Ive done Virtual PC. But it is still missing the original feel without a real Sound Blaster blaring the Monkey Island theme song. And a real IBM Model M Keyboard. And a real 13 CRT that you strain your eyes on after a couple of hours of 640x480 60hz gaming. Im sure some of you can relate to and appreciate that feeling ?

So enough with the blah blahing, heres what Im looking for. For the most part, money isnt really a factor here, but I would like parts that are somewhat easily available ( Ha ! ) and will be compatible with the majority of what Im looking to do. Heres what Im looking for:

*Case
CPU
Mobo
RAM
Video Card
Sound Card
PSU ( More looking for wattage recommendations here 200 300 ? )
*HDD
*Optical Drive
*3.5 Floppy
*5.25 Floppy
*Mouse
*Keyboard
Joystick
*Monitor

Items marked with an asterisk are items that Im fairly certain I will be just fine picking out myself, but I figured if Im gonna ask for recommendations, might as well go for the gusto.

Thanks everyone in advance !
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:06 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

<< *laughs* ... and restrains myself from answering.

In stead I will redirect you to http://vogons.zetafleet.com/index.php
There are already a zillion topics covering your question, another one won't hurt them.

Laughing
Be aware the a 'dosgaming' computer doesn't exist.
Dosgaming covers CPUs ranging from a 8086 to a P2, needed speed varies from one MHz to 200-300MHz.
A PC that runs Descent perfectly will be much too fast for others.
And so on, blah blah.....

motrax wrote:
Im sure this has been asked here before, and in fact I know it has based on the searches and results that I found in regards to them. However, opinion seems to vary so wildly on a lot of things, that for a first timer to something like this can make all the information overwhelming and

Your question can't have a simple straight answer, because there is none.
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:45 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the best computer I ever had for playing DOS games ran Windows 98SE with an AMD 1 GHz processor and 256 MB SDR SDRAM, Voodoo 3 graphics card. Using memory allocation, VDMSound and Moslo, I could run most DOS games far better than they ever ran with my older computers.

I actually didn't really use DOSBox until 2007, when I finally caved and bought a computer with XP on it. I've been on this site so long, I actually remember when the "get games to work" forum was more than "how to use DOSbox 101." Sarcastic (I remember before DOSbox existed, actually... those were fun times Happy)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:42 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogbreath wrote:
Actually, the best computer I ever had for playing DOS games ran Windows 98SE with an AMD 1 GHz processor and 256 MB SDR SDRAM, Voodoo 3 graphics card. Using memory allocation, VDMSound and Moslo, I could run most DOS games far better than they ever ran with my older computers.

I actually didn't really use DOSBox until 2007, when I finally caved and bought a computer with XP on it. I've been on this site so long, I actually remember when the "get games to work" forum was more than "how to use DOSbox 101." Sarcastic (I remember before DOSbox existed, actually... those were fun times Happy)

It was pretty much the same. Except:

1) We had Proc instead of Dosraider
2) His trend was "Edit your autoexec with _____" instead of edit your config.ini with _______
Dogbreath
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Which was better than Wally who at one point would respond to every topic with "use DOSBox." Frikkin' Macnuts...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1