DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Adding Sound Blaster 16 audio to an old game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Creation
gadgetmind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:19 am     Post subject: Adding Sound Blaster 16 audio to an old game Reply with quote

I recently resurrected the source code for an old DOS game called "Carrier Command", and it's building from source and running nicely in doxbox.

When it was released in 1988, sound cards hadn't really arrived, so it just used the PC speaker. I'd like to add Sound Blaster 16 support, but would like to talk thought the ins and outs of samples versus FM first.

Is here a good place?

Regards

Ian
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:54 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kinda a specialized and tech question you ask.

Me thinks you'd better ask such thingies@
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/index.php
gadgetmind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:52 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will do.

My current thinking is to use the FM synth for background (engine etc.) noises, and as it's similar to the chip in the Sega Genesis, I can use a fair few ideas from the port of Abrams I did for that platform. I got a bit carried away there and even did depth cued and doppler shifted helicopter effects!

I might do explosions etc. the same way, or these could be samples. It's the singleton nature of samples that bothers me.

Regards

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Creation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1