Dungeon Keeper 2

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
MiDeR

Dungeon Keeper 2

Post by MiDeR »

I've managed to get DK1 running fine in DOSBox, however i'd like to play DK2 as well. This is on Vista. The problem i'm running into is DK2 came on a disk of stuff a friend gave to me and the entire game is in a .exe file. While it installed from this file fine in XP, I can't seem to get it to work now. I've tried running the entire file through DOSbox and it says it's not a windows program. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
MiDeR

Post by MiDeR »

Since I can't edit the above, had to make a reply. For some reason while playing DK1, even if I make a save game and close the game when I launch it agian through DOSbox it seems to have no record of the save game, and I have to start from scratch agian. Not sure if this is just one of the draw backs, or if i'm doing somthing wrong. So if anyone could help with that issue as well i'd appreciate it. Thanks.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

dosbox version?
Mount lines?
Inputs to run the game?

....AKA: details please.

Also, make up your mind:
MiDeR wrote:I've managed to get DK1 running fine in DOSBox
and
MiDeR wrote:For some reason while playing DK1, even if I make a save game and close the game when I launch it agian through DOSbox it seems to have no record of the save game, and I have to start from scratch agian.
Seems to be contradictory, isn't it?

About DK2
MiDeR wrote: I've tried running the entire file through DOSbox and it says it's not a windows program. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I think it says it's a "windows executable", and thus can't run in dosbox.
As far as I know DK2 is windows only.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.

Post by Guest »

Dosbox version is 0.74

Mount lines and inputs I use to lauch the game are:

mount d "f:\"
mount c "c:\DOS\Keeper\"
c:
Keeper

When I said I had it running fine I ment it was running at all, the only problem i've experienced so far is the save issue.

As for DK2, when I just try to install it from the .exe it says
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

When I try to launch it from dosbox it simply says "This program requires Microsoft Windows."

Any ideas on how to get it running? Or am I just screwed as far as it goes?

Thanks.[/quote]
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

So, if I understand you swell you're on Vista64.
Your virtual C: mounting is wrong.
Read and apply first:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10437
Next, for DK1:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10083
That should do it.

As for DK2, I don't think it can be done directly in a 64 bit OS as the installer is 16bit, can't run in a 64bit OS.
DK2 can not run in dosbox, dosprogs only.
VirtualPC+W98SE would solve your problem with DK2.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
MiDeR

Post by MiDeR »

Thanks for the links, DK1 is saving and loading fine now. As for DK2 I managed to get it running on accident. On XP the .exe worked fine, but now on vista in the process of trying different compatibility options I accidently clicked extract and it extracted the full game. Not a clue why, but atleast it's running fine now. Thanks agian for the help.