DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Ultima 7: The Black Gate, a great RPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Reviews
Annorax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:55 pm     Post subject: Ultima 7: The Black Gate, a great RPG Reply with quote

Ultima 7 is probably the best RPG I have ever played, a close second would be Chrono Trigger. But back to U7, why is it so great? I will rate the orginal game and the game using the Exult engine, which is one of the only ways to play the game using 2000/XP. I will use the 0-100% scale. In parenthesis is the enhanced Exult version.

Graphics: 60 (80). The game obviously has dated graphics compared to today's standards, but in it's day, it was fairly advanced. With Exult's use of scalars, it looks less pixelated and more smooth.

Sound: 80 (85). The old version had great music, the Exult enhanced version includes OGG support and external sound packs with help it a little.

Storyline: 95 (95). Superb, deep storyling tracing back to U1. I recommend you read the storyline up to this game prior to playing it, it will make the game much more enjoyable and a tad easier.

Gameplay: 95 (98). This is one of those RPG's where you can do ANYTHING you want, from build a house, get party members, or kill the world. Exult adds a little to the gameplay and options.

Fun Factor: 90 (95). This game is great, but that's my opinion. Many Ultima fans will agree that U7:BG is the best Ultima. You have freedom to do whatever you want, and with the cheat codes and map editor, you can alter the world and people to whatever you want.

Overall: 95.

If you are a fan of RPG's, I highly recommend this game. It has a deep storyline and excellent gameplay.
hmm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:36 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

you can build a house in ultima 7? ;o
Kamikazebowler
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:13 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing Ultima 8 right now! THAT is GREAT. I never played U7, perhaps, I should give a try..
-kb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:21 am     Post subject: Re: Ultima 7: The Black Gate, a great RPG Reply with quote

Annorax wrote:
Ultima 7 is probably the best RPG I have ever played, a close second would be Chrono Trigger. But back to U7, why is it so great? I will rate the orginal game and the game using the Exult engine, which is one of the only ways to play the game using 2000/XP. I will use the 0-100% scale. In parenthesis is the enhanced Exult version.

Graphics: 60 (80). The game obviously has dated graphics compared to today's standards, but in it's day, it was fairly advanced. With Exult's use of scalars, it looks less pixelated and more smooth.

Sound: 80 (85). The old version had great music, the Exult enhanced version includes OGG support and external sound packs with help it a little.

Storyline: 95 (95). Superb, deep storyling tracing back to U1. I recommend you read the storyline up to this game prior to playing it, it will make the game much more enjoyable and a tad easier.

Gameplay: 95 (98). This is one of those RPG's where you can do ANYTHING you want, from build a house, get party members, or kill the world. Exult adds a little to the gameplay and options.

Fun Factor: 90 (95). This game is great, but that's my opinion. Many Ultima fans will agree that U7:BG is the best Ultima. You have freedom to do whatever you want, and with the cheat codes and map editor, you can alter the world and people to whatever you want.

Overall: 95.

If you are a fan of RPG's, I highly recommend this game. It has a deep storyline and excellent gameplay.

amen brother
Ultima isn't jsut a game... It's a way of life
CloudCobain
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:08 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I love RPGs and I've never touched an Ultima game... but you've convinced me.
Annorax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:23 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Over a year later, glad some are finding this useful. Cool
Sorcerdon
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:35 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the fact that in the end u go to Pagan because the guardian Malevolent had enough of u lol

Dats my favorite part Congratulatory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1