DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

Old motherboard does not support new HDDs?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware
Posix_memalign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:11 pm     Post subject: Old motherboard does not support new HDDs? Reply with quote

I have a new problem,
I want to replace the two 1 GB HDDs in my dedicated DOS/Win3.11 computer with something larger as they are actually almost full now.

Short version:

Does old motherboards not support "new" HDDs, e.g. around 100 GB? By old I mean the Asus P/I-XP55T2P4 (Pentium 1 based, circa 1996).

Manual: http://www.google.no/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCQQFjAC&url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.asus.com%2Fpub%2FASUS%2Fmb%2Fsock7%2F430hx%2Fxp55t2p4%2Fxp55t2p4-300.pdf&rct=j&q=asus+xp55t2p4&ei=s0IpTLOADs26ONyz3bID&usg=AFQjCNE689MTi4iqSzNr2_Pbaq4WEZhD1A

Longer version:

I tried first with a 80 GB HDD and found that no matter what IDE channel I attached the device to, and no matter where on the cable and no matter what jumper settings I used on the drive (yes, I actually tried all combinations prior to giving up) I was unable to make the BIOS detect the drive.
I tried a different cable, even though it would be strange if it worked with a different cable -- as the old 1 GB HDD still worked fine.
I tried then a different drive, even though I knew it worked, a 120 GB HDD, this one too failed in the same way as the 80 GB did.
I then tried a really old 280 MB HDD, this one worked fine.

Is there some reason a motherboard such as the one I'm using (the Asus P/I-XP55T2P4) would not even detect a "new" HDD? Is there anything I can do about it, and what is the maximum size I can use?

I looked through the manual to no avail, I couldn't find anything on maximum size of the HDD.

Thanks in advance!
Posix_memalign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:24 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried a 13 GB and a 30 GB HDD, they both worked fine, so apparently the limit must be somewhere >= 30 and <= 80.

This is obviously not the first time I have run into a size barrier, but I think it is the first time I have seen a HDD not be detected at all due to this issue.
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:56 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

32GB is the limit for the FAT filesystem..

FAT32 can address a fair bit more but you can't copy files larger than 4GB to them.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:57 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm

[Edit]
Also, cluster size, bigger isn't always better.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/partCluster-c.html
If you have a big sized FAT16 partition with 32 KB cluster size it means that a 1KB file will eat up 32KB disk space.....
And as some games have a lot of small files .... (Falcon3 to name only one).
Posix_memalign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:18 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about these size barriers, but wouldn't they all merely affect the HDD such that the OS can only see up to [insert arbitrary size barrier here]?

In my case I'm not limited to 32 GB on my 80 GB HDD, the BIOS doesn't detect the HDD at all, how can a size barrier do that?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:33 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

points to: GOOGLE.

Or join a tech forum, this is after all a dosgaming forum, I'm not in the mood to go over all that same boring tech stuff once again, sorry, nope.

You seem to be the kind of : "you answer one question and I will ask ten others based on what you answered.

We are NOT here on DGF to do your donkey work, do it yourself and learn from it.

And now I gonna close this topic because it's boring.
Moi don't like boring topics, and as I see you found your way to Vogons, you may harass them.

>locked<
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:00 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call dossy!! Applauding
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1