DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

re: mapedit v8.4 for wolf3d, blake stone and other games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Creation
reble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:01 pm     Post subject: re: mapedit v8.4 for wolf3d, blake stone and other games Reply with quote

I wasa messing around with the mapedit v8.4 on the Blake Stone level maps. I made a change in mission 2 level 6 and the level plays just fine in the game. I tryed to make some changes to mission 2 level 10 and the changes won't take effect in the game even if I start mission 2 at level 1 and go through all the levels in mission 2. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happing.

Steve
reble

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:31 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is no one answering my question?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:04 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

reble wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happing

reble wrote:
Why is no one answering my question?

Seems we have no idea.

And:
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37383

Maybe try there:
http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/index.htm
reble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:57 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I finely stumbled on the answer my self. It wasn't a problem of not knowing the save command. it was a conflict. I would be playing the game and get to a point were I am stumped and lets say I can't find the switch to turn an electric barrier off to get at an other part of a room so I saved the game at that point. Used the editor to make a push wall from an other room. But the changes weren't showing up in the game because of the conflect between the saved file I made and the modified floor file. If that makes any sence to everyone. I guss an unknowen bug.
Happy

Steve
dosraider
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:00 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly, you simply want to use the level editor as a cheat engine.

Meh
reble

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:36 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not using the level editor simply as a cheat engine. I also use it as a learning tool. As I make changes in the levels then play the level I learn how the inter workings of the game work. When I understand it good enuff then I will take a wack at makeing some of my owen maps.

steve
Vangar
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:46 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a bug, this would be common if you were modding for most classic games and ROMs.

When the game is saved, the save state takes the information of the map around you and all the variables. You are simply saving the older map variables in your save, and not letting the new information get loaded. If you are actually making maps i would suggest not using save at all and start at the beginning every time, or move around the starting position when needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Creation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1