DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

No EMM driver detected?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:03 pm     Post subject: No EMM driver detected? Reply with quote

I'm trying to run a game I made called Ped Xing's Quest:
http://download.com.com/3000-2097-10116132.html?tag=lst-0-1
and everytime I try to run it, I get an error message: NO EMM DRIVER DETECTED.
Here's some stuff I've tried

went to properties and the memory tab and set EMS memory to 16384 or AUTO

Edited the file called _Default.PIF for the EMS memory options

Custom edit CONFIG.NT to say EMM=RAM...Either I'm not typing EMM=RAM in right or that doesn't work either.

I then tried using the DOS emulator program call VDMsound...that doesn't work either.

Can anyone help me get this program to work in Windows XP? Try downloading my game too.

Michael Dowling
Splodginator
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:25 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

VDMS is a sound emulator but a good DOS Emulator is called Dosbox
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:57 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

device=c:\windows\command\emm386.exe

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 3:34 pm     Post subject: file doesn't exist Reply with quote

the device=c:\windows\command\emm386.exe
doesn't work, because the directory c:\windows\command does not exist on my hardrive. I'm using XP, and if there is any way I can download EMM386.EXE, let me know.
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 1:58 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it's part o' DOS. Go to flee market and try to find QEMM. It's possible, it won't work under XP.

Does it proc?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:47 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

QEMM? I'll look it up. What do you mean proc? I tried DOSBOX, but it freezes up in SCREEN 13 (320x200x8). I tried BOCHS, but I couldn't get it to do anything. I know there are a lot of DOS emulators out there, but could anyone tell me some of the other top-notch emulators?
486 player
Gaming Demi-god
Gaming Demi-god

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:47 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

procerus, main technical supporter o' t'is site.
ADM_DURON_1GIG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:26 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never bothered with xp, once i tryed mellaimin and discover the dos envirment access was shut out i dumped it.if the dos envirment can not be accessed by winxp that just maybe the root to most of the problems. the emm386.exe (acompanied by himem.sys) is found in old dos,win3.1,win95,win98. you may need to get a older computer for the older OS to play the games you love so much...486-200mhz ecomedates win95 perfactly,200-450mhz ecomadates win 98 nicly. even though win98 can play alot of 95 and older dos games,but not all.

i found win95 capable to play all the old dos games,i also like the save and get color pallet fecture on win 95 that win 98 for some silly reason dosen't have for the paint.exe program..

oh,if you are running a system using DDR,SDR..then that aslo could invite a problem. in a test doom worked fine in a dos shell of a windows envirment. however castle wolfstien3d did not.even though the game is a smaller program it failed to work.why? the pc used DDR.the game dose a mem manger check, DOOM dosen't realy.DDR,SDR has no real main board memory,so memory mangers are not needed. the game worked fine in dos it's self cause you use less memory,game couldn't tell the difference for board to ram in dos...game played just fine..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Get Games to Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1