Compaq deskpro disaster!

Want to talk about your hardware setup? Brag about your super-machine's layout? Pretend you know a lot about computers? You can do all that and more in this forum.
dosuser

Compaq deskpro disaster!

Post by dosuser »

Last year playing around with my Compaq deskpro 1 GHz 500 MB ram when I accidently spilled rootbeer on the front of it. Now this is near the processor and the power on button. But it will still turn on, but will run EXTREMELY slow. I =can't figure out what is wrong with it. I figure I fried a circuit on the motherboard or something. Well any suggestions?! :huh:
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

:blah:
Probably some leaked in and gives bad contacts or whatever.
And of course mobos/chips working@high frequencies loves smeared dirt on them.

Put the whole thing in the dishwasher.
:devil:

Or try some electronic circuit cleaner..... but don't set your expectations too high.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
dosuser

Post by dosuser »

yea I wiped down the motherboard and it's spotless. I don't know what the problem is...
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

And what you expect from us?
That we jump to your place and checkout all that can go wrong or what?
Get real.

It's even possible it ain't a hardware problem at all, maybe you got a nasty virus or whatever, who knows.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

In answer to your PM -(I don't do such things via PM, I'm not a private slave)- .....

Google for CPU testing progs, more specific the Lcache ones, as you said it was spilled close to the CPU it could be that the Lcache is running too slow, it's possible that your clockfreq divider is screwed up.
Whilst your're on it, also run a memory check prog, plenty around of those.

Install a benchmarking proggy and do some testruns.

...... do some things.
swaaye

Post by swaaye »

Take the mobo out, remove the CPU, RAM, and any other removable parts and give it a nice bath. Dish soap+water dip and/or some isopropyl alcohol (70 or 90%). Maybe even get out a soft brush and go at it. An optional final step is a nice, spot-free rinse with distilled water (rinses away bad ions and stuff from the tap). Shake it good to get as much water out of areas as possible and let it dry overnight. Then hit it with a hair drier for a while to be sure (don't heat it up too much). :)

I do this occasionally to clean up old computer hardware that has collected lots of nastyness over time. It's especially nice for stuff that comes from smoker's homes. Yuck.

Realize that this could kill it. There is always the static risk. And if it's not completely dry, it could fry.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Soft brush for the win? :rolleyes:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Wally
King of the Carrot Flowers

Post by Wally »

Touch it while in a bucket wearing a nylon shirt / socks.. make sure you touch everything inside, wipe it with the brush afterwards to prevent static leakage.

Turn it on afterwards, you might have a nice firework display.

Wally
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Re: Compaq deskpro disaster!

Post by wardrich »

dosuser wrote:when I accidently spilled root beer on the front of it
holy crap, Root Beer + Electronics = DISASTER. I had a bottle of MUG Root Beer blow up on my phone... now some of the buttons stick. Sometimes they refuse to work, and sometimes they just start acting as if they're pushing themselves.... damn root beer.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Drink the real stuff, beer, ya pussies.
:blah:
jonesybunny

Post by jonesybunny »

Maybe the CPU cooler is still all mucked up with the beer remains? This might cause it to spin slower than needed and the CPU might switch to a lower clock speed to avoid overheating.

Just a theory, really. But worth looking at?
-Jonesy
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

jonesybunny, this topic is almost a year old, please don't gravedig in ol'topics.
No need to revive them.
THX.
Glocked.