Command HQ multiplayer

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
GrimFinger

Post by GrimFinger »

It may or may not do any good, but I have decided to start a player list for Command HQ, to try and breathe a little life back into this old classic wargame. That list can be found here:

http://grimfinger.net/CHQPlayerList.html
GrimFinger

Post by GrimFinger »

These instructions for configuring Dosbox (http://www.dosbox.com/) to allow Command HQ to be played by two players over the Internet are courtesy of Ryan Walz:

The computer IP addresses in this example are listed below:
Server computer:192.168.0.2
Client computer:192.168.0.3
(you will need to substitute your IP's)

in the dosbox folder (defaults to c:\program files\dosbox-0.72) there is a configuration file called dosbox.conf

Open this file using notepad (or your program of choice) and scroll down until you see the section called [serial]

For the server computer you just need to select one of the serial ports (i used serial1 below) and set it to nullmodem

[serial]
# serial1-4 -- set type of device connected to com port.
# Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of
# parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq.
# for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
# for modem: listenport (optional).
# for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,
# transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
# Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000

serial1=nullmodem
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

Then for the client configuration, do the same thing except add "server:x.x.x.x" (where x.x.x.x is the servers IP address)

[serial]
# serial1-4 -- set type of device connected to com port.
# Can be disabled, dummy, modem, nullmodem, directserial.
# Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of
# parameter:value. Parameter for all types is irq.
# for directserial: realport (required), rxdelay (optional).
# for modem: listenport (optional).
# for nullmodem: server, rxdelay, txdelay, telnet, usedtr,
# transparent, port, inhsocket (all optional).
# Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000

serial1=nullmodem server:192.168.0.2
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

Now save the configurations files and start up dosbox on the client and server computers.

You should see status on the server computer like this in the "DOSBox Status Window"
Serial1: Nullmodem server waiting for connection on port 23...

Once the client starts DOSBox, you should see this on the server status window:
Serial1: A client (192.168.0.3) has connected.

You should see this on the client computer status window (if the server DOSBox is running)
Serial1: Connected to 192.168.0.2

Now start command HQ and connect via direct serial. Select the com port equal to the serial port you specified in the dosbox.conf file... in this case COM1. They should connect and you will be on your way!

The default port used is port 23... this will need to open and forwarded if there are any firewalls. You can change the port if needed. The README.txt in the DOSBox directory has some examples listed.
GrimFinger

Post by GrimFinger »

I finally got to play Command HQ over the Internet, tonight, for my first time, using the DosBox method listed above. Once we got connected, the game ran smoothly, just like the good old days when using modem-to-modem connection.

I would encourage others to give it a try.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
GrimFinger

Post by GrimFinger »

dosraider wrote:Splitted from Game Reviews:
http://www.dosgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2643
Sounds good to me.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Whilst I'm on it: let me give you a friendly warning:
Wait at least 1 full week before bumping your own topic.
OK?

In other words: if you double post every other day, great chances someone will delete or lock (eventually temp_lock) your topic.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Wing8

Post by Wing8 »

I played the original Command HQ a great deal in the 90s by modem and it is one of my favorites. So much grand strategy and operational warfare packed into 1-2 hours! I recall a 2.5 hour epic battle where all my feints, tricks and aggression on one front after another kept the enemy under heavy real and psychological pressure everywhere, right up until my bolt was shot and I surprised him by conceding as I had virtually nothing left.

Robert Lee acquired the rights and sold a very nice updated version with a cool random map generator that was also loads of fun.

I see OpenWar HQ is a clone/update project for the game, which sounds encouraging although I understand the simple square mini-tile sytem and how it works easily in setting up flank/rear attacks and the shape approach could be better if units can follow a particular terrain type and use waypoints (keep off those attrition squares).

Meanwhile, it sounds like dosbox works with the original version of the game. Is it working OK? Are people playing this actively?

Aloha,

Mike
damon_achey

Post by damon_achey »

I've been looking for a source for this game for some time. Is there a legal place that one can still obtain a binary from these days?
jessetc

Post by jessetc »

Any tips for how I can get it up an running on a linux mint computer?
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

-> dosbox.

.... and don't necropost. >GLOCKEFIED<