Star Trek: TNG - A Final Unity in Windows XP [Howto]

Post problems with getting games installed and running properly here.
Huggybaby2

Star Trek: TNG - A Final Unity in Windows XP [Howto]

Post by Huggybaby2 »

Huggybaby's "How To Play the DOS Game "Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity", Under Windows XP, At Best Speed, Without the CD, With No Installation and No Setup Configuration in 7 (Moderately Easy) Steps"

This is known as a tricky game to install and get working well. All the older methods around are lacking, involving obsolete or extraneous steps, and none take into account the latest emulation software versions.

But I've created a unique method which is the distillation of all previous methods plus my own experience and observations. I think it's the best procedure possible in terms of ease of use and results. As of Sept. 2007 it's certainly the newest. LOL

This procedure is tested and works a treat with DOSBox 0.72, DOS/32A 9.1.2 and D.O.G. 1.54. This procedure is easier than it was a couple of months ago because the new DOSBox doesn't need a CD drive mounted, eliminating that confusing step, and the latest DOS/32A provides a nice speed boost!

So READ ON and soon you'll be ready to play this game at full speed under Windows XP with no need to mount any drives, no installation and no setup configuration...

INTRO:
To get the game running in DOSBox I have found the simplest method possible. When done, configuration consists of pointing to the game's .exe file and adjusting the mouse sensitivity.

In this example I will run the game from F:\STFU\. This game will run from any drive or folder you choose.

PROCEDURE:
1) Insert your Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity CD ROM into your CD ROM drive, or mount the .iso file using Daemon Tools or the equivalent.

2) Copy the entire contents (including subdirectories) of the CD into a folder on your preferred hard drive, say "F:\STFU\".
You are now done with your CD/ISO file and may put it away.

-----CHECK: At this point there will be no SETUP.exe or STTNG.exe files in the STFU directory, only an Install.exe.-----

3) Find STTNGINS.ZIP and extract it into the STFU folder.

-----CHECK: If you do it right you will be asked to overwrite the MEMCHECK.OVL file. Accept it or not, it doesn't matter (BUT if you're not asked then you didn't extract to the proper location).-----

-----CHECK: You now have the important STTNG.EXE file in your F:\STFU\ folder.-----

4) In your STFU folder, open "STTNG.INI" with Notepad
and make a copy somewhere.

The original looks like this:

Code: Select all

; Star Trek: The Next Generation, IBM Version.
Audio=None
Port=0x220
IRQ=0x5
DMA=0x1
Video=HI8
Sound=OFF
Music=OFF
Voices=OFF
Movies=OFF
Advice=0x0
VolMusic=0x7fff
VolSound=0x7fff
Dialogs=ON
Scale=ON
DPixel=OFF
Path=.
CD=.
UniVESA=OFF
Now, paste the following over the preceding:

Code: Select all

; Star Trek: The Next Generation, IBM Version.
Audio=SB8
Port=0x220
IRQ=0x7
DMA=0x1
Video=HI16
Sound=ON
Music=ON
Voices=ON
Movies=ON
Advice=0x1
VolMusic=0x7fff
VolSound=0x7fff
Dialogs=OFF
Scale=ON
DPixel=ON
Path=.
CD=.
UniVESA=OFF
And save your newly configured STTNG.INI file.

You have just bypassed the setup procedure! (Believe me, it sucks to run. See the PS at the end of this article for more.)

Note that this turns everything on and sets your SoundBlaster to 220, 7, 1, which is the DOSBox default. Now Soundblaster 16, Base 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1 should work from DOSBox.
Don't bother turning on VESA.
Also notice that you didn't have to futz with the path.

5) In your STFU folder, make another folder called "SAVEGAME", or you won't be able to save games! :)

-----CHECK: There is now a F:\STFU\SAVEGAME folder!-----

6)
STARTREK uses the musty old DOS4GW DOS extender. For better speed and reliability we can upgrade it with a newer one (DOS/32A), but not directly, because it's hidden inside the STTNG.OVL file.
==============================================================================================
NOTE: If you do decide to modify the STTNG.OVL file, BE SURE TO KEEP THE ORIGINAL, because there may be a bug.
If, after you beam down to Allanor the game crashes, you have the bug, and this can be fixed by switching back to the original .OVL file until you get past this point in the game.
Many thanks to Oldtimer who reported this bug and its solution HERE.
==============================================================================================
If you choose to try the extra speed of DOS/32A, you can use the STTNG.OVL file that I have rebuilt and tested from HERE.

If you use mine then extract STTNG.ovl from STTNG_ovl_DOS32a_912.rar and put it in
your STFU directory, after renaming the original.

You will be replacing a 1,954KB file with a 1,756KB file.

OR, you can rebuild your own STTNG.OVL with DOS32a 912 from HERE using Example 3 from HERE.

7) FINALLY, (whew!) because of everything you've done, it's now very simple:

In the DOSBox frontend of your choice (I'm using DOG 1.54), make a profile and choose F:\STFU\STTNG.EXE as the exe FileName.
And, for this game (Important), set your DOSBox Mouse Sensitivity to something like 500%

That's it, you're ready to play! No need to mount any drives! No Installation! No Setup configuration! No Compatibility Mode! No installing Windows 98! No VDMSound! No MoSlo! :laugh:

Enjoy!

Huggybaby

8) My DOSBox Tweaks.
I have a 950 MHz AMD machine, but I want my game to look good too!
These settings will work on faster machines just as well.

To get more responsiveness and better looks, try these DOG/DOSBox settings:

SOUND: All sound hardware off except SoundBlaster and MIDI

DOSBox: Focused Thread Priority = Highest

Mouse sensitivity needs to be cranked up for this game.

INPUT DEVICES: Joystick = None

CPU: CPU Cycles = Max (try Auto), Dynamic (try Full if jumpy)

DOS: XMS and UMB = On, EMS = Off, HMA = 63 MB (try less)
Leave DOS32a off because it must be replaced manually for this game.

SCREEN SETTINGS: Fullscreen, 1024x768, VGA, Direct Draw

SCALER: NO Scaler, Keep Aspect Ratio

PS If you want to run the original installer for some sadistic reason, you'll have to get past the "CD Too Slow" error. There used to be a replacement Install.exe available from emulator-empire.com to bypass that warning, but sadly that site is now gone. If you have a copy let us know.

Please let me know if this helped you or if you have suggestions. It will make us both feel good!
Last edited by Huggybaby2 on Tue May 05, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

A nice post, very well done.

:thumbsup:
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Whoa, great job! :thumbsup:

And we DO need a howto subforum!
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Huggybaby2

Post by Huggybaby2 »

Thank you. :)
Larry Laffer
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

I split this thread, let's keep it howto-related only, ok? :)
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
r0b0t c0rpse

Runs fine, no save/load/newgame

Post by r0b0t c0rpse »

Deleted ~dosraider
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Now, that's been enough of this here.
:angry:

To avoid spamming up this well done topic over some 20 pages as happend before with STTNG A Final Unity I'll lock this.
If you have problems:
Reread the first post here.
Check everything twice.
Still problems?
Use the search function and post in an older topic, enough of them around.

Locky lock.

*Edit
BTW Huggybaby2, should you want to add/alter something in your howto, PM me or another mod/admin.
Sorry for the lock, but those STTNG-AFU topics tend towards spam.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

Temp unlocked and:
Wed May 06 2009: updated by Huggybaby2

Thx for the update Huggybaby2.

Locked again now to avoid spam messages.