id Software gets Steam'd

General discussion for all topics related to DOS, Windows, Linux, consoles, etc. Anything to do with games.
Mr.Smiley4

id Software gets Steam'd

Post by Mr.Smiley4 »

The rumors are true: id Software titles are coming to Steam. According to a press release from Valve, starting today you will be able to download titles from the Quake, Doom, HeXen, Woflenstein and (huzzah!) Commander Keen series.

More than 20 titles will be available; additionally, many of the franchises will be available as packages with a 10% discount for purchasing en masse. We've printed the full list after the break.

Individual games:

* Commander Keen, Episodes 1 through 5 ($5)
* Wolfenstein 3D ($5)
* Spear of Destiny ($5)
* Return to Castle Wolfenstein ($18, limited time offer. Will be $20 after time is up.)
* Ultimate DOOM ($10)
* DOOM II ($10)
* Master Levels for DOOM II ($10)
* Final DOOM ($10)
* DOOM3 ($18)
* DOOM3: Resurrection of Evil ($18, limited time offer. Will be $20 after time is up.)
* QUAKE ($10)
* QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon ($5)
* QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity ($5)
* QUAKE II ($10)
* QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning ($5)
* QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero ($5)
* QUAKE III Arena ($18, limited time offer. Will be $20 after time is up.)
* QUAKE III: Team Arena ($18, limited time offer. Will be $20 after time is up.)
* Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders ($5)
* HeXen ($5)
* HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel ($5)
* HeXen II ($5)

Packages

* DOOM 3 Pack: Includes DOOM 3 and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil ($28, limited time offer. Will be $30 after time is up.)
* QUAKE III Pack: Includes QUAKE III Arena and QUAKE III: Team Arena ($18, limited time offer. Will be $20 after time is up.)
* Wolf Pack: Includes Wolf 3D, Spear of Destiny and Return to Castle Wolfenstein ($18)
* DOOM Pack Complete: Includes all DOOM games released by id ($35, limited time offer. Will be $40 after time is up)
* QUAKE Pack: Includes all 8 QUAKE Titles available on Steam ($27, limited time offer. Will be $30 after time is up.)
* Heretic\HeXen Pack: Includes Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, HeXen, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, HeXen II ($10)
* id Super Pack: Every id game on Steam ($63, limited time offer. Will be $70 after time is up.)
Link.

I was nice enough to use my own Steam account to list all the prices for you guys. I think I might get Commander Keen since it's only $5, and I might get some others later.
PC Gamer ever since I was 3. :)
dosraider
Admin
Admin

Post by dosraider »

THX for the info, Mr.Smiley4.
wardrich wrote:The contrasts in personalities will deliver some SERIOUS lulz. I can't wait.
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

I saw it and I knew it was good. :angel:

Might get a tail though, they're using a version of dosbox, but they apperently removed all the documentaiton and boring license readme's. You can't adjust dosbox settings, and the old setups of back then can't be used either. (Or so I've read.) You can still use the WADs though.
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
MiniMax
Expert
Expert

Post by MiniMax »

Gamer_V wrote:Might get a tail though, they're using a version of dosbox, but they apperently removed all the documentaiton and boring license readme's.
In a fewer words: id Software broke the GPLv2 license that DOSBox is distributed under.

(but I guess that is non-consequential to this forum)
DOSBox ReadMe | DOSBox Wiki | DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions
Admin
Admin

Post by Larry Laffer »

Ooh, I sense a lawsuit coming up!

I can hope, can't I?

[edit]do you guys realize how entertaining the comments on that above linked blog page are? :laugh:
<center>
abyss wrote:I don't even know if starcraft 1 was a windows or dos games.
</center>

ModBot™ - Faster than the speed of spam!(and always taking it to where it belongs!)
Gamer_V
Gaming God
Gaming God

Post by Gamer_V »

Hmm, I should probably search for the thread about the licenses on the dosbox forums. Might be amusing.

*edit* Ah, here. Look at the panic. Not too worried, I'm sure id lives with the google motto 'do no evil.' Or they'll get their derrieres kicked by Valve.
*edit2* Most interestingly, MiniMax does seem to be able to make .. mature posts on that board. :P (Okay, that was low from me)
<TABLE width="100%" cellpadding="1" border="0"><TR><TD width="50%">
robhofen wrote:no warcraft is a rip off of age of empires and so are a lot of other games
</TD><TD width="50%">
Larry Laffer wrote:Your people are n00bs :laugh:
</TD></TABLE><CENTER>Image</CENTER> .
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Oh no :cry:. I just lost a lot of respect for them... Why would they turn to the dark side?
Mr.Smiley4

Post by Mr.Smiley4 »

wardrich wrote:Oh no :cry:. I just lost a lot of respect for them... Why would they turn to the dark side?
Explain.
PC Gamer ever since I was 3. :)
wardrich
"Some Troll"

Post by wardrich »

Steam = DRM = no thanks.

It's also a crap idea, I mean, how can you have a LAN game for something like Half-Life if you have no internet connection? It can't be done, which is just more proof that it's probably not the most anonymous service around. The TOS itself is a bit sketchy.