DOS Games Message Board
DOS Games Discussion
A message board to talk about DOS games, get help, and find old games.
Do NOT post warez or abandonware requests please

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEW! DOSGames.com has been massively upgraded to v2.0 with TONS of new features!
Check out the new design and dozens of new features including online play!

I'm new and i wanna create a platform game!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Creation
smelly joe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:53 am     Post subject: I'm new and i wanna create a platform game!!!!!! Reply with quote

Is there any program that guides you through to make DOS type game.
I want it to look old and i want to create my own characters from scratch. i'm no computer whiz so can anyone help me out!!???
John The Ax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:37 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

On gamehippo.com they have the Scrolling Game Development kit.
Trentdaddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:08 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm downloading Game Maker right now. I might get the one you mentioned later. I want to make a few side scrolling games and maybe some puzzle games. One of the side scrollers would be a shoot em up similar to Vectorman(sega Genesis) or Contra(various systems) and another one that is a beat 'em up similar to the Streets of Rage series (Sega Genesis, Master System, Game Gear), Power Rangers the Movie(SNES or Sega Gen), and i guess possibly similar to Final Fight(various systems).

The only coding experience I have is SOME MS Visual Basic in my Computer Science class and I'm learning a few more. Sould one or both of these programs help?

EDIT: I forgot that I would like to create some of my own Characters(they are called sprites right?) for some of it. And i mean by create, I mean like from scratch, as in using MS Paint to draw them and save them as whatever picture file is required for them.
John The Ax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:26 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do the pictures yourself. As with programming, since almost no knowledge is needed, they'll only help with theory.
Zerox12

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:39 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

A little recommendation would be, brush up on your theory. It's surprisingly helpful.
computergeek363

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:09 pm     Post subject: Great Program to get started on!! Reply with quote

Core_12
Lord of Gaming
Lord of Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:30 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Game Maker rocks. Also remember to visit the Game Maker Community.
barok

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:56 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

qbasic! qbasic!!! check out...

http:\\www.vplanet.cjb.net

check out the platformers there. look at spinball, sonic, raven the yoyo commando, jill the goddess (warning! nudity!) promzone, mister kid, commander keen build 7 (yes, commander keen was remade in qbasic. i dare you, try to find something different from the original!), larry the dinosaur (1 and 2) the list goes on.... plus most have the source code, so you can open them up and start studying! i'd recommend mario up. it'll help you get started.

really though, a platformer wouldn't be that hard. take a pixel scrolling engine, add pixel collision, npc support, object handling, and gravity and you'll have a basic platformer right there.
fantin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:46 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

how to create a dos games
fantinka@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:48 am     Post subject: create a dos games Reply with quote

how to create a dos games.
what languages are used
barok_unlogged

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:57 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

eh.... a dos programming language?
Sorcerdon
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:24 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

SO booooring.

Ppl should understand Qbasic and Basic or C++ b4 starting making games. I dont like those "auto" game creators. Bored
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:57 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree: but I suppose people have got to start somewhere.

I'm making a game: and it's taken about a month of semi-solid work (probably averaging about 2 hours a day) to get the basic engine working: I still have to add a whole lot more graphics, enemies, and make the levels (and the level editor, level file format).

What I'm saying is, making a game from scratch takes a lot of effort. Some people don't have the experience or time to program game engines from scratch. Even the major gaming companies, more and more seem to be turning to a third party game engine.
Sorcerdon
Expert
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:55 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

ye, well If u have a good imagination and and a good idea of wat u want. Good luck Shit-Eating Grin
scancode

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:58 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Celebratory go to rapideuphoria.com, there's a great archive of sourcecode for games Happy
i use that!
microman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:50 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

I need any easy way to make a DOS sidescrolling game in QBASIC NOW!!!
microman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:52 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty Like at least Commander Keen quality
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:43 am     Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is it's hard to do sidescrolling in QBASIC.

To keep the refresh rate at 25 Hz: you're going to have to do very little maths and make the plot pixel routines much more efficient than they are.

C / C++ can do those things at a decent speed with ease. Can I recommend you learn that?
microman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:45 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would, but first of all:

1. The only version of C I have are on 5.25" floppy disks and I have the drive but not the drive-er Crying

2. Where can I learn C? I'm only 12 and I'm gonna have a hard time learning how.
Dosser
Way too much free time
Way too much free time

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:04 pm     Post subject: Reply with quote

C compilers are easy to download. If you have broadband internet, try to download DevC++: a free compiler with a nice GUI (makes it easy to tranfer from QB to C). I think it can be DLed from www.bloodshed.net

To learn C, there's heaps of tutorials online. You can also borrow a book from the library. To start with, you might want to try www.cprogramming.com: heaps of beginner level online tutorials.

I thought C would be hard too, but if you have programmed to a good level in QBasic, transferring to C should be relatively easy. The basic concepts of programming are similar in all languages, just the commands to do it are different. Rest assured, once you learn C: every other language is pretty similar to it: you should be able to jump from it to c++ and Java no problem. Once you are confident with the basic elements of C, you can look into a graphical library such as Allegro and start making your game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DOS Games Discussion Forum Index -> Game Creation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2